Friday, October 5, 2007

Butter making

This week we enjoyed making butter. We have been getting a lot of cream off of the milk we got from the dairy and so we decided to use it that way. For our Colonial time class we are planning on making butter so we thought that we would practise. We did it by putting it in a peanut butter jar (less than half full) and shaking it. The kids had fun doing it. I also did make one batch using my hand held blender. I found some instructions on the Internet which I have listed below.

Here are some instructions for making butter the old fashioned way as well as more modern methods. Here are very good instructions with pictures for making butter with an electric mixer. They also have info on the health benefits of butter. Here is a pictorial instructions on butter making starting at the cow.

If you want to stretch your butter (you can do this with homemade or store bought butter) and make a soft spread that can be stored in the fridge you can do something that my mother-in-law taught me. If you take 1/2 butter and 1/2 oil and blend them in your blender or with your mixer you can make a very nice spread that tastes good and works well. We enjoyed our fresh
butter on fresh homemade whole wheat bread. Very yummy! This butter was not only cheap but very healthy too and a great learning experience.


5 comments:

Amy said...

That is so neat. Just from the extra cream in the milk and nothing else? Wow!

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

what a cute little butter maker :)

Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read the blog. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

Rather nice blog you've got here. Thanks for it. I like such themes and everything connected to this matter. BTW, why don't you change design :).

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin