Sunday, December 9, 2007

Frugal Gift # 9 ~ homemade candy

Something we have enjoyed giving for gifts is homemade candy. I have always been what my mom calls a "messer" ( someone who likes to experiment in the kitchen and just mess around with little bits of this and that.) and candy is a perfect thing for messing. The other reason I like to give candy is because people seem to like it. Other benefits are that it is pretty frugal and it doesn't crowd up someones house with an little needed gift, they eat it and it is gone! The only disadvantage to this gift is that it usually isn't all that good for you. So you don't want to make to much OR you can try to make it healthy! :-)

We enjoy giving candy to my parents for special events. They are not the type of people to buy candy (or to really make it) so they enjoy what they receive as gifts. They put it away and just take it out at special times and have just one piece. They can make a box of candy last a very long time! This candy that I have pictured we made as part of their anniversary gift in November.

This candy was one of the ones that I had fun inventing as I was making it. I took some coconut and added just enough corn syrup to make it sticky. Then I took a little bit of the sticky coconut and made a ball of it around a pecan. Then I melted some chocolate almond bark and poured some on one side and then after the candy had hardened I turned it over and poured some on the other side. That was all ~ very simple. I turned out pretty yummy though, if I must say so myself.

We packaged it up in a clear plastic box that we recycled. I put tissue paper in and then tied it with a pretty pink bow. How fun!



Here is another of our favorite candy recipes. This one is actually healthy and I didn't make it up. I just revise it however I want at the time. Anyway here is the recipe:

Peanut Butter Kisses:

  • 1/2 cup honey (or a little less)
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 3/4 to 1 1/2 cup dry milk

Mix the honey and peanut butter and then add as much of the dry milk as you can. Roll into small balls. You can roll the balls in coconut, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, chopped nuts or coat in chocolate almond bark. That is it ~ All done ! Our whole family likes these. They make a nice snack for kids.

Have fun with your candy making!

3 comments:

Emily said...

I have loved making candy for a long time! I like the coconut idea though.... :)

Keren Ruth said...

hehe, i don't know if this would surprise you or not but that candy isn't gone yet. :) I should remind them.

Keren Ruth said...

oh yes! and it is very yummy!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin