Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Works for me Wednesday ~Easy baked potatoes

I am sure there are lots of other people out there that do this but I will post this for those that haven't thought of it. I loved making baked potatoes, they are good for you and cheap (especially cheap for us as we glean our potatoes and get them free) and so very easy. The only problem that I have heard many people complain about is that they take a long time to cook. My solution: Use the microwave. Even for our family of 6 I can usually cook enough potatoes in 20 minutes. Just scrub them and poke them and then put them in to cook. I usually turn them halfway through as well. They taste good and are very fast. That method Works for me!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard of this before, but haven't tried it. Do you only microwave one at a time? And, for how long? Thanks for the help and the tip!

~ Amy @ Memoirs of a Mommy

Heart of Wisdom said...

Easy side for any meal and so quick in the microwave. You are right. Thanks for sharing.
Robin@heartofwisdom.com
http://www.heartofwisdom.com/heartathome/

Angie said...

One way I do it is to wrap them in a wet towel or paper towel and cover them it keeps them from getting all wrinkley and dried out. I actually have a baked potato button on my microwave. You push it however many times that is the number of potatoes you have. NICE and EASY! MMM now I might have to have baked potatoes tomorrow!

Niki Jolene said...

I read this before somewhere else and had completely forgotten about it!

Thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for a while now and enjoy it very much. Another thing I do to the potatoes when cooking in the microwave it to wash them, pierce several times with a fork, then place them in a plastic bag, such as a grocery bag. Loosely twist the bag under the potatoes and place in the microwave. As the potatoes cook, steam is trapped in the bag and cooks them faster. The potatoes are also "fluffier" this way. It takes about 7 minutes to cook 5 large potatoes in this method.
One note, though. The steam in the bag is very HOT, so if your children help with microwave or other cooking, you may want to open the bag yourself.
Amanda

Abbi said...

Amy, I cook all my potatoes together. I don't think that makes much difference time wise whether you do it one at a time or all together. I find that 4 medium potatoes cook in about 20 minutes and I believe one potato takes about 5 minutes.

Amanda, Your method sounds very neat. I will have to try that.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to comment.

Jennifer said...

oooh, I've never tried potatoes in the microwave!! I will have to try it out tonite, just as a "test sample" lol!!! Thanks for sharing!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin