Friday, September 4, 2009

Eating from the Garden!

This hasn't been our best year of gardening, it was, I believe, the second coldest summer on record, germination was poor, chipmunks did lots of snacking and I neglected it and the weeds got pretty bad! BUT we are finding stuff to eat from it anyway!
This week we have had several meals that had a lot of elements from the garden. For Wednesday lunch we had tortilla roll ups with homegrown lettuce and tomatoes inside (and other stuff) and carrot sticks. Carrots are one thing that is doing very well! We also had a stir fry on Sunday with broccoli and carrots from our garden. For Wednesday supper we enjoyed fresh corn on the cob (and are looking forward to more next week!) and sliced tomatoes.

Last night I cooked out over the fire and the side dish I made was Carrot Zucchini patties made from my garden veggies. I thought they were pretty yummy!

I have been enjoying reading about the garden results at other blogs too. Here are some links to harvest posts:

What are you harvesting at your house?

5 comments:

Dear Abbi said...

Mmm, your garden food looks great!! And so do all of those baked goods! Looks like you all had FUN! :)

Heather Mattern said...

I want a garden!!! We are going to attempt to begin little by little this year with grand hopes :)

Abbi said...

Thanks Abbi! (It is kind of weird to write that, it looks like I am writing to myself. :-) We have been having fun.

Trinity Mommy, I hope you have fun with your gardening. I really enjoy it. There are frusterating times but the rewards to me are greater than the frusterations. Starting small and progressing larger is probably a good idea. I have a tendency to think big but I can tell you it is a lot of work!

Sarah said...

I gave container gardening a whirl this summer and have harvesting all of several tiny bell peppers, 2 tomatoes, and a dozen miniature strawberries. :( I think next year I'll have to buckle down and actually plant stuff in the ground! I love the way the carrots looks...so fun!

Jennifer Porter said...

What a blessing to have food from your own garden, even if it's not all you had hoped! We tried our first hand at gardening this year with tomatoes. It went pretty well until we got some bugs that completely tore the plants up! We also had pecking birds, so all of the tomatoes we did get had holes in them. We'll try again next year...we have a whole year to research and learn!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin