Sunday, November 1, 2009

Do not fear

"And do not fear those who kill the body,
but are unable to kill the soul;
but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Are not two sparrows sold for a cent?
And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father.
But the very hairs of your head are numbered.
Therefore do not fear;
you are of more value than many sparrows."
Matthew 10:28-31
This is such a comfort verse for me. It is one I have often hung up around where I live. I specifically remember having it hanging up when I was in college and facing new situations in my life. The kids and I have been reading through Matthew together and we recently read this verse and I stopped so we could talk about it. I want them to always remember that no matter what happens to them in life, we don't have to fear, God is watching over us and cares so much for us.
What we do need to fear (and therefore stay away from ) is that our soul would die eternally. We have a God that does not want any to perish but He has also asked for us to follow and obey Him. That is what I want to do and I don't want to allow myself to get distracted by anything in this world that could cause me to spend eternity in hell.
Not being afraid isn't the same as being careless but it does allow us to do whatever needs to be done and lets us have peace of mind. We don't have to worry because we have a God who knows, and sees and can do anything!!
Thinking about those verse also reminded me of this song:

1 comment:

Tristan! said...

I recently read this verse and thought about how amazing it is. we literally have nothing to fear. It's reassuring to know that.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin