Sunday, April 18, 2010

Speaks to me Sunday ~ 1 Peter 3:1-4

"In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives,
as they observe your chaste and respectful behavior.
Your adornment must not be merely external-- braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God."
1 Peter 3:1-4

This is a verse that has come up in my reading several times lately (at church and in private study) and it is one that I have really gained from. I don't know that this verse is a very popular one, but it is in the Bible and that makes it worthy of our attention. I actually am very glad to have verses that instruct in how I am to act as a wife, to be perfectly honest I find it freeing. When I know what God wants of me, I can do it without worrying (not to say that I always do that perfectly!) and trying to figure out the best way on my own.

So I am encouraged once again to be submissive to my husband (God has given him the leader position in our marriage) and to be chaste (okay I found that word to be a little old fashioned- not one I use very often- so I looked it up. Basically it means pure) and respectful.

  The next part of the verses talks about how we look. I wonder if there ever has been a time when women have not concerned themselves with how they look? I love the reminder in this verse that it isn't the outside that we need to be working hard to make beautiful- it is the inside. That doesn't mean that we don't want to look nice but we need to be spending far more time working on making sure our heart is beautiful, loving and kind. I really want to work on that! Being gentle and quiet is something I am working on too!

What are your thoughts on these verses?


1 comment:

Nola said...

I also find it so helpful that God has put right in the Bible how we are supposed to be. I also find this encouraging how it basically tells us what to do even if our husbands are not Christians or that we feel they are not following God the way they should be. Very clear and practical instruction!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin