Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Rag Rugs!

I have been on a major project making kick lately. I am really trying to get my craft room cleaned out before I start a long run of weddings in June and so I have been working hard to get things used up and old projects finished. Another thing that has been prompting me to get projects done is because our local Republican group is having a fundraiser and I have been making things to go on a silent auction.

  I have made/finished several rag rugs lately. Here they are:
These are crocheted. I had started them a while ago and it was fun to get them finished. The big one headed out to make the tree fort more comfortable and the other one I am putting on the silent auction. I love the way I can use up lots of rags and scraps with them.


This one was a totally new kind of project for me. I had a bunch of little double knit squares (that had been given to me) in my craft supplies and I had seen a similar idea to this on a blog a long time ago (but it was rectangular and it was done in rows) so I wanted to give it a try. I was wanting some instructions to follow and after some googling I found these telling how to make a rug like I did above except with denim (which I think sounds really cute and I want to try someday!).

Here is a close up of the rug. I folded a bunch of little squares in half to make them triangular and then sewed them on in a spiral onto a sturdy piece of fabric. This is a fairly fast rug to make and I thought it was fun. It is a great way to use up all sorts of scraps.

This is linked to :


and



7 comments:

Nola said...

Wow that is amazing! I've always wanted to try this. You have the neatest ideas. I have to remember you don't have a baby around anymore though. I'm always like "why can she do all that?!" :)

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Excellent idea and the double knit will wear like iron. Well, maybe not iron but it is very durable! I've made rag rugs in the past including a very large, very heavy denim runner. Loved the blue colors and texture. Alas, it did not survive two chocolate lab puppies.
Love the colorful rugs you've made.

More than Survival said...

Very COOL rugs!!!!!!!!
I have never made one like the last one.... just might have to give that a try! Looks fun!
Have you ever made rugs using the 'toothbrush' method?? I really like it!!! Go to the link below... that is where I ordered the needle and directions.....
http://www.auntphillys.com/

Jackie said...

I love your rugs. I tried to make a crocheted rag rug right after I learned to crochet and I got burnt out. I still hope to make one some day. I think the last one with the double knit looks fun.

Pam said...

This shag rug is so colorful and looks like fun to make; I've crocheted several rag rugs but I've never tried this method you've shown. Definitely going on my "to do" list and thank you so much for sharing! Pam

TopazTook said...

I have a rug like the bottom one (although I didn't make it; it was a gift from my aunt-who purchased it). I really like it: it's cute, colorful and soft! (And I'm now reminded that I need to go check to see if the jelly bean that fell into the squares at Easter time is still buried in it...)

Jenna said...

adorable!! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin