Sunday, May 23, 2010

Reading Revelation


I have been doing what seems to me some rather deep biblical reading lately. Four of us from church are in charge of teaching the kids from the book of Revelation for the next 3 months so we have been preparing for that and then also next month we are planning on having Bible Baseball (at church) on the books of Zechariah and Malachi so I have been reading Zechariah aloud to the kids and reading Malachi currently on my own. Though I have read all of these before (and studied them in Bible College) they still are not easy for me to understand, they require some serious study. However it is so cool how much can be gained from studying them! If you haven't ever read them I would greatly encourage it, it certainly makes me so very much in awe of who God is!

  I thought it would be fun to share with you some of the verses that I have really enjoyed in my reading of Revelation.

 "To Him who loves us and released us from our sins by his blood- and He has made us to be a kingdom, priests to His God and Father- to Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen. Behold, He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him, So it is to be. Amen. "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty." Rev. 1:5-8

"Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life." Rev. 2:10b

"And when the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to Him who sits on the throne, to Him who lives forever and ever, the twenty-four elders will fall down before Him who sits on the throne, and will worship Him who lives forever and ever, and will cast their crowns before the throne, saying,
"Worthy are you, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for you created all things, and because of Your will they existed and were created." Revelation 4:11


There are so many neat verses and in the book of Revelation. It will make you think and it will make you want to worship.

When we were studying for our class Mathew reminded us of a article I had read some time ago by Matt Proctor. It is titled "7 Reasons why I read Revelation". The whole article is really neat but I wanted to share at least the 7 reasons with you. They also have chapter numbers with the reason as those chapters are the ones that prompt the reason that he names. The reasons are:
  1. I approach Jesus more humbly (Chapt. 1)
  2. I love the church more honestly (Chapts. 2 & 3)
  3. I enter worship more completely (Chapts 4 & 5)
  4. I endure suffering more confidently (Chapts. 6-9)
  5. I speak God's truth more courageously (Chapts 10 & 11)
  6. I see evil more clearly (Chapts. 12-18)
  7. I love Christ's return more deeply (Chapts. 19-22)

 Do you enjoy reading prophecy in the Bible or do you skip that part? I would love to hear your thoughts!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My husband and I took a bible study at our church called "End of Times for Dummies". It was four weeks of the study of Revelations. Our pastor said he could go on for 26 weeks and I was all for it!! I love digging deep into the symbolism. For example the different horses mentioned and what the colors mean. At first the study was overwhelming and a bit scary, but as we kept on it all started to make sense. And fear disappeared. Thanks for sharing.
Shelley :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin