Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Bringing in the Harvest {Freezing Celery}

 Our gardening season is drawing to a close but we are still getting a few things out of it. This week my parents shared with us a bunch of cutting celery (and also more broccoli!) that they had.

I thought I would share with you are simple method of putting up this celery for later. This celery is not the type that you cut into celery sticks but it is wonderful in soups, scalloped potatoes, anything where you would like that nice celery flavor. Cutting celery is also much easier to grow here in the northland.
 My parents gave us this whole bucket full of celery. They had put a little water in the bottom of the bucket to keep it fresh.

 We carefully cleaned it, the bottom tends to collect a lot of dirt.
 Then we chopped it up.
 We chop both the stalks and the leaves.
Then I just packaged it in little zip lock bags (it was a great time to use up the shredded cheese bags that I have washed and saved) and threw it in the freezer.

This was a very simple project and it will be so nice to have this to add to stuff all winter long! Putting up food for winter in a simple and easy way definitely works for me!

5 comments:

Niki Jolene said...

I do this too! We don't grow our own, but I hate when we buy a stalk and it just sits and sits in the fridge until it gets floppy and we inevitably throw it out. All because I needed 1/4 chopped celery!

I started chopping it, then flash freezing it on a cookie sheet and transferring it to freezer bags all on the day we buy it. No more waste!

Good to see you over at WFMW, and I am enjoying my visit to your blog, too. I hope you'll stop over and visit me at Free 2 Be Frugal.

TopazTook said...

From the stalks, that looks an awful lot like rhubarb to me. (But that would mean that a) it would be ready for harvest in the spring and b) I've always heard that rhubarb leaves are poisonous.)

Is this a related plant?

Nola said...

Interesting...why is it red? Is the actual name "cutting celery"? I'd be interested in knowing more about it since I too live in a cold climate and I've always been told celery is too hard to grow. I'd love to know where they got seeds or whatever more info. THanks!

Abbi said...

Topaz- I am quite sure this is not related to rhubarb, but you are right it does kind of look like it.

Nola- I will have to check for sure on the name but I ordered my seeds and I think my parents ordered theirs from Fedco seeds. I am not sure why the stalk is red. The ones that I have (though mine didn't grow as big) were all green but my dad does like to get unusual varieties of things.

Nola said...

Thanks Abbi! I'd love to know the actual name when you get a chance.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin