Friday, October 22, 2010

10 ways to improve your health that won't cost you a dime

 Sometimes we can start to think that living in a healthy manner costs a lot. After all Dr.'s visits aren't cheap,  organic food costs more than the other and a gym membership isn't free either.

  However there are so many things we can do to help with our health that don't cost anything at all. I thought I would remind us of some of those today. And if we work at staying healthy we might not need to have those doctor's visits after all!

10 Ways to live more healthfully that don't cost you a dime:

  1. Breath Deeply. A lot of us spend most of our lives doing shallow breathing (Question: Does your chest go up and down when you breath or your stomach?- For deep breathing your stomach should be going in and out.). Good oxygen intake will help with our health in many ways. Check out more information here. Breathing deeply can be done anytime (even when singing, in fact I first learned about deep breathing from my voice instructor) and it is certainly free!
  2. Drink Water. Not only is this free (at least if you drink tap water) but it can save you money if you replace soda or something like that with it. I like to drink water but I can still get busy and forget to drink enough. I usually pay for that negligence with a headache. Other friends have ended up in the ER because they didn't get enough water. It is really important. (Check out more here.) 
  3. Laugh a lot! Do you remember this verse: "A joyful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit dries up the bones." (Proverbs 17:22) ? God knew all along (after all, He did make us!) that being joyful and laughing helps to keep us healthy but now modern medicine has "discovered" that it is true as well. Laughter helps your body relax, it helps strengthen your immune system and it improves the function of your blood vessels to name just a few. You can find out a lot more about it here.
  4. Get enough rest. This is sometimes easier said than done but it is essential! Not everybody needs the same amount of sleep, so work to figure out what you do need. Then make it a priority.
  5. Be active. We feel better when we stay active. Cleaning, gardening, yard work, going on a walk or bike ride, jumping rope, playing catch with the kids, running up and down the stairs while getting things done around the house can all help you feel more awake and alive. Even if you have to sit at a desk or have some other sedentary job you can do a few jumping jacks on your breaks. :-)
  6. Eat less sugar. This can actually save you money if you eliminate soda pop, candy and use less sugar in your baked goods. It will help you have a healthier heart too. When I bake I usually cut the sugar in half or I replace sugar with a natural sweetener. I would suppose outsiders might find my stuff not very sweet but my family is quite used to it and still likes what I bake very much.
  7. Lighten your schedule. This one is hard and one I am working on but still have a ways to go. However constant stress is very bad for your health and so I am trying to make our schedule one that isn't so stressful. I think this is a worthy endeavor.
  8. Be Thankful. When we are thankful and content in the situation we are in, that will help to improve our health too. Our mental health has a whole lot to do with our physical health!
  9. Forgive others. Holding a grudge/ staying upset at someone is very hard on a person physically. Give it to God! This goes along with our recent memory verse: "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just and in Christ, God forgave you. " Ephesians 4:32
  10. Pray and Meditate. This is something Christians have believed to help in healing and health for centuries but what is cool is that the scientific world is finally having to agree.
Do you have any practical and free health advice to add? I would love to hear your thoughts!

 Check out more Frugal tips at Life as MOM.
Check out lots more natural health care ideas at Keeper of the Home.

 Also, are you looking for inexpensive and homemade Christmas ideas? Have a Handmade Christmas is going on here every Tuesday. Check out  week one's carnival here and be sure to come back next week and link up your idea too!

4 comments:

Prairiemaid said...

All of these are excellent. Thanks for posting them. We all need reminders!

Have a great weekend.

Blessings,
Cheryl

Bridgett said...

great post! all of these are free and def. needed to live a full, happy life. :) One thing I do is menu plan b/c when I menu plan I buy less meat (i'm not sure how that works but it does for us lol) and then we can afford to buy the organic meat.

also opening our windows a hour or two everyday lets out stale old air and brings in fresh air. this always renews our attitudes too! + it's free :)

Bridgett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Margo said...

great list. I agree entirely. One of my reasons for buying healthy food that isn't always cheap is that doctors are expensive. At first, my husband didn't get it, but seriously, our family is very healthy and I think I've made my point (and my food budget).

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin