Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The remaking of a dress

Just lately Mara and I had fun working on a dress makeover together. We had been given a sundress (which was cute but we don't like things without sleeves) and a bright pink t-shirt. They both were in nice condition (though the hem had been taken out of the t-shirt) and we decided that they coordinated well enough  to put them together. So we did!
I cut the top off of the sundress, and a couple of inches off the bottom of the shirt. and then sewed them together. I was happy with how well the size matched.

Then I decided it would be fun to make little fabric flowers to help tie the whole dress together. From the top that I had cut off, I cut a strip 1" by 18" and ran a gathering thread on one edge. Then I gathered it up.
 Next I coiled it, so that it looked somewhat like a flower.
Then on the t-shirt top I sewed a narrow ribbon on in a zig-zag pattern and then sewed the "flower" over where the ribbon ends met. I sewed a button in the center to finish it off.
 Next I decided to put a flower made the same way from the hot pink fabric on the skirt bottom.
All done! It was a fun and simple project.
 I was inspired to make t-shirt fabric flowers by Sachiko at Tea Rose Home. She has made some beautiful redone t-shirts and I hope to try some of her ideas soon.

What have you been making lately?


8 comments:

Sheila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheila said...

(I deleted my first comment to correct some typos.)

Your sewing posts are my favorite! I love what you did! I just completed some shoe bags for my mother-in-law and am getting ready to begin a casserole carrier that I'm going to give as a Christmas gift.

Greg and Donna said...

Your creativity just blows me away sometimes....I would have just had her wear the t shirt under the dress. Your idea is so much cuter!

Jackie said...

That is great, Abbi! I love how you repurpose clothes to make new clothes. So creative and frugal!

glor said...

How cute did this come out! Much nicer then the original sundress. You are very creative.

Nola said...

Wow! How neat. You are so creative. I am going to try a fabric flower sometime. My little girls would love to play with them. :)

Abbi said...

Thank you so much everybody!! I think it is easy to get rather addicted to remaking clothes. It is so much faster than starting from scratch and you can have fun being creative.

Jackie said...

Thanks so much for linking to my party. I hope you will join me again.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin