Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A Rag Rug for May

 I had fun trying out yet another rag rug method for my rug this month. I found my inspiration at the blog "The House that Lars Built" (which I don't follow normally but was happy to find their post when I was searching the Internet for rug ideas). They used the method for making string friendship bracelets and used that idea as a way to make a rug.

 They made a two section rug but since my rag strips were thinner than theirs I decided to make a 3 section rug. I made two sections and then since I really didn't feel like sewing my sections together I laid the two done sections on each side of where I was making the third section and I just looped the strips through as I went so that I didn't have to sew the sections together.

I did still have to hand sew the end strips down after I was done with the main rug making. I tried just knotting them first but I didn't like how that looked so I hand sewed them. That was the most time consuming part of making the whole rug.


 Generally this rug was pretty fun to make and I think it has a kind of neat look with the zig zag stripes but I didn't get the shape to look quite how I wanted and I am not sure if I will repeat this style or not - though if I did try it again it might look a lot better next time.

  This rug currently is enjoying it's new spot in front of our kitchen sink.

I would love to hear about any rag rugs that you might have made!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin