Sunday, September 30, 2012

Learning to walk like Jesus

A while back for our Wednesday night class at church we talked about Walking with Jesus and we were challenged to memorize a few verses including 1 John 2:6 which says: " Whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus did." Though it has been my goal for many years now to follow Jesus and do His will I always have room for growing in this area.

  I decided it would be fun to read through the gospels again this time being extremely focused on the things that Jesus did that are examples for me that I should follow. Some of the things in His life were just the situation He was in or the time that he lived or because He was God (being born of a virgin mother, being baptized in the Jordan River, teaching in synagogues and performing miracles) but many of the things that He did were things that He did simply because it was the right thing to do- no matter when or where we live or who we are. Those are the things that I am going to try to notice and follow in my life.

  When I was reading in Matthew Chapter 4 about Jesus time of fasting in the wilderness and being tempted by Satan the things that jumped out at me that I feel I should also strive to do were:

  • Standing firm against the devil. The devil is real and does want me to follow him, it is my job to say "NO!".
  • Knowing scripture to help me to resist the devil. I can know scripture better by studying it, reading it, memorizing it, singing it and just focusing on it throughout all of my life.
A good verse from that chapter is Jesus' words to Satan in verse 4:
"It is written, Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God."

 I hope you will join me in striving to follow Jesus. I would love to hear your thoughts on this chapter!

2 comments:

Myers House said...

Thanks for another great Sunday challenge!

I just went and re-read Matthew 4 .... the part that always jumps out at me is when He calls the disciples and they drop what they're doing and follow Him.

Oh that I would be so quick to follow His leading daily in my life!

Abbi said...

Becky,
Thanks much for sharing your thoughts on the chapter. The reponse of the disciples (to-be) was certianly one that we can learn from!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin