Sunday, November 18, 2012

Do you pray?

Thanks for joining me and I read about Jesus time here on earth and think about how I can follow in His steps!

Something that we see over and over in the gospels is Jesus praying. Has it ever crossed your mind as to "Why?" I mean after all He is God, He knows everything, Why did Jesus feel the need to pray?

 Jesus had chosen to come to earth for our sakes as a human but He still desired that close relationship with His Father (Of Course!). That is what praying is about - Have a close relationship with the Father- we should want that too!

 Here are some examples of Jesus taking the time to pray.....

Mark 1:35
"In the early morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house, and went away to a secluded place, and was praying there."


Matthew 14:23
"After He had sent the crowds away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray; and when it was evening, He was there alone."

Matthew 26:36-46
"Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and said to His disciples, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." And He took with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be grieved and distressed. Then He said to them, "My soul is deeply grieved, to the point of death; remain here and keep watch with Me." And He went a little beyond them, and fell on His face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will but as You will." And He came to the disciples and found them sleeping and said to Peter, "So, you men could not keep watch with Me for one hour? Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."
  He went away again a second time and prayed saving, "My Father, if this cannot pass away unless I drink it, Your will be done." Again He came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy. And He left them again, and went away and prayed a third time, saying the same thing once more. Then He came to the disciples and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and resting? Behold, the hour is at hand and the Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners. Get up, let us be going; behold, the one who betrays Me is at hand!"

Some observations from these scriptures:
  • I don't think it was always easy for Jesus with so many people so constantly around Him to always find time to pray- He MADE time to pray. We have to do that too.
  • Jesus was willing to get up early or stay up late in order to have that time of prayer.
  • He prayed with others and all by Himself.
  • He prayed for strength.
Do you set aside time to pray? This is something I do but I certainly could do more of. I hope to grow in my prayer life.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin