Saturday, March 23, 2013

Learning from Charolette Mason

Aaron playing his Ukulele - Charlotte Mason encourages Music
   A couple of weeks ago I had the privilege of having a day off by myself (not something I generally want as I do love being with my family - but it is fun once in a while) to go to a video seminar on the Charlotte Mason homeschooling method. My mom had seen the announcement of the event and encouraged me to go and of course offered to watch the kids as well.

  It was a very fun day where 7 of us homeschooling mothers watched some video seminars together, ate a lovely lunch, visited about how things were going and things we have learned in our homeschooling experience, had a formal afternoon tea and talked about books. I learned a lot and found it very refreshing. I have also changed a couple of things in our homeschooling method as a result.

  Aaron recently commented on how good of day that was, he said: "Not only did we get a day off from school and get to go spend time at Grandpa and Grandma's but Mom also changed things to make our school day better".  Obviously my children were pretty happy about the situation! :-)

  I took a lot of notes and I am enjoying looking through them. I thought maybe it would be fun to share some of what I learned with you all as well. (Probably in sections otherwise the post would be super long!)

Jonathan and Mara enjoying God's beautiful creation last summer.
 Charlotte Mason was a teacher in England many years ago, she taught children and then she ended up teaching Nannies how to teach children. She wrote books on the subject (which I have never read so far but I have read a book about those books) of teaching children and many homeschoolers have found great help from her writings and ideas. The more I learn about her methods the more I like them. Many fit with what we were already doing and the new things I have tried from her have been generally wonderful for us.

Today I think I will just share a couple of Charlotte's Mottos and Sonya Shafer's comments on them:

A Motto for Children: "I am, I can, I ought, I will"

~I am -Educate the whole person.

Ephesians 2:8-10 "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them." Ephesians 2:8-10

~I can do many things.

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."

~I ought - teach them their duties/responsibilities.

Mark 12:30-31 "And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength". The second is this, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." There is no other commandment greater than these."

~I will - They make the decision.

Psalm 119:30 "I have chosen the faithful way; I have placed Your ordinances before me."


Aaron and friends at a homeschool group program.
 The motto that she had for parents was:

"Education is an atmosphere, a discipline, a life"

Here are some tips for incorporating that motto:

  • Don't talk down to children (realize they are smart and treat them that way).
  • Have a "beautiful" home. That doesn't mean expensive or elegant (though that can be okay) just strive to make it beautiful. Beautiful can be simple.
  • Surround them with people that they can learn from.
  • Have the discipline of good habits in your life and teach them also to your children.
  • Have and teach living ideas rather than dry facts. (Truth/facts can be presented in a way that draws your children in and makes them want to know more- this is what we want!)
  • Spend time with music, movement and nature.
Megan and a card she recently had fun making.
I would love to hear your thoughts on these ideas.
The person speaking on the recorded seminar was Sonya Shafer who with Karen Smith has the website SimplyCharlotteMason.com . If you want to know more about the Charlotte Mason Method you might find the website helpful.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Thank you for this post Abbi. I wish I could have been at that event. We love CM and have used several of Sonya's books. Can't wait to return to them next year...and so wonderful to read the encouragement I needed at the moment!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin