Sunday, June 23, 2013

Responsibilites of the Rich (That's us)

 
 
This past week I was reading in 1 Timothy. I want to share with you what it says in chapter 6 verses 17-19:

  "Instruct those who are rich in this present world not to be conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy. Instruct them to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is life indeed."

 I have long appreciated the message in this verse and tried to follow it but at the same time when I have read this in the past there has been a part of me that after reading "those who are rich" tends to say - "Well that doesn't apply to me. Sure I feel "rich" (blessed!) but I know that according to most peoples standards I am not rich."

This past week when I read it however I caught myself thinking that again and then I stopped myself because-  I am rich! We have a nice home, we have more stuff than we know what to do with, we never go hungry (in fact I catch myself over eating as do others in my family), we can go on vacations and the list goes on and on. It doesn't matter if according to American standards that we aren't rich, we are. I am susceptible to the risk of being conceited or trusting in what I own rather than on God who has given us everything. I need to be aware of that risk and watch out for it.

  I am rich and so that gives me the responsibility to do good to others, to be generous and share with others. Maybe I don't seem rich when you compare me to the super wealthy but I know differently. I have more than I really need so I am rich. It is time to stop thinking those verses apply to others more than they do to me.

  Most people that I know are rich - most of them have far more than they need. That isn't true the world over however and there is always some that we can help, some that need us to share with them. I hope God will guide me in knowing who we should be helping.

  After reading this verse and thinking about it I happened to read Ann Voskamp's post entitled A letter to the North American Church. It went right along with what I was thinking. I would encourage you to read at as well and be blessed..... and motivated.

Because, I am guessing you are rich too. Aren't you?



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin