Monday, December 2, 2013

We have eggs!



Our first eggs
The very day I posted about chickens last week and how the roosters were crowing but the hens weren't laying - well - We found eggs! How very fun and exciting! The chickens have been getting more visits this week just to check and see if they have laid anything else yet.

   Our family very much enjoys eggs. We like them fried, scrambled, boiled, in baking, creamed on toast and more. I haven't ever made poached eggs yet but I might try it once we have plenty. In recent years I have had trouble keeping enough eggs on hand all of the time since I try to not to grocery shop very often and we can go through eggs pretty fast. We are hoping that having our own chickens will prevent the running out of eggs problem.

   We made nesting boxes for our chickens (hopefully I can share pictures soon) but so far they seem to prefer a corner of the chicken coop. I think I will try adding a golf ball to the nesting box to see if that will encourage egg laying there.

  I think we may have 4 hens laying now out of our total of 7. Hopefully the others start soon too!

I am linking this to the Homestead Barn Hop and

 
The Chicken Chick
From The Farm Blog Hop

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The first eggs are definitely the most exciting! I love getting to know each of my hens by the particular shade of her eggs, which are my daily or every-other day or every 3 days layers, who likes to linger in the nest box and who wants out the moment they are done! Such a joy and a true treasure hunt every day :). Congrats on this milestone!


Visiting from the Homestead Barn Hop,

Erin
http://yellowbirchhobbyfarm.blogspot.com

Lisa | Fresh Eggs Daily® said...

Congratulations! What an exciting moment collecting your first egg is! I would love for you to come share at my From the Farm Blog Hop.
http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2013/11/from-farm-blog-hop-and-learn-how-to.html

Lisa
Fresh Eggs Daily

Greg and Donna said...

Congrats on the eggs! Its a thrill to go out there everyday or so and find more! To me, thrill has never worn off! donna

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin