Monday, March 17, 2014

Lentil Burgers {A Frugal and Simple Food}

I tried a new recipe this weekend and since I thought it turned out pretty good I thought I would share my version of the recipe with you.

  The recipe is for Lentil Burgers. Now we like our meat around here and don't have any intention of going vegetarian and I don't know how well these would work as a substitute anyway but I made these and liked them in their own right. We just ate them solo (without bun or toppings) but I think they could be good dressed up like a hamburger too.

 Here is the recipe:

Lentil Burgers

  • 1 cup lentils
  • 1 cup wheat
  • 5 cups water
  • 2 cups bread crumbs
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 T. dried basil
  • 1 t. cayenne Pepper
  • 1 t. oregano
  • 1 teaspoon rosemary
  • 2 T. Salt
  • 4 cloves garlic chopped
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup of whey or milk
Combine lentils, wheat and water in a pan with a lid. Bring to a boil and then turn down low and let it simmer until all the water is soaked up (an hour or so). Then mix in everything else. Chill mixture 1/2 hour and then shaped into patties and fry.

  This recipe uses very economical ingredients and I found it pretty tasty. It is a big batch so I am going to try freezing some for later - I think that should work just fine.

  Do you ever eat lentils? How do like them fixed?

I am linking to some of the parties in my sidebar.

1 comment:

April's Homemaking said...

I love lentils, your lentil burgers sound wonderful, I often use lentils in soups and stews. I would love to invite you to share your recipe at my linky party, Meal Planning Monday Recipe Link-Up. Happy St. Patrick's Day! :) http://www.aprilshomemaking.com/2014/03/meal-planning-monday-recipe-link-up-2.html

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin