Monday, May 19, 2014

Duck Tales

 You may recall that Megan got some ducklings for her birthday a month ago. They have been growing fast and the kids have been really enjoying them. That is we have enjoyed them except for when Megan ended up getting sick the week after they came and we think it was Salmonella which is something that you can often pick up from baby ducks. She was pretty miserable for a bit but I researched quite a few home remedies and she pulled through pretty good. We are certain to be much more diligent about hand washing now.

Here are some pictures of some of the fun times we have had with the ducks:
 They love to be out and playing with the kids and they just follow them all over the yard. They way that they so carefully follow just like they were playing follow the leader (they go through the same obstacles that the leader does) amuses us to no end. They joined us for a game of croquet not long ago.
 While out playing croquet they started following Ken around which the kids found super funny and wanted me to take a bunch of pictures (Ken is not all that fond of farm animals so that made it funnier). Ken had fun getting into the act of taking them for a walk.

They found him a little slow however and had trouble staying behind him.
 Aaron was super excited to have them go swimming but Jonathan and I had read that since they didn't have a mother to put oil on them that they could get pneumonia if they went to young so we didn't take them for a while. But the other day I said they probably could and so they headed down to the swamp.
 They loved it!!
 They found all sorts of things to nibble on and were of course natural swimmers.
They were no longer very interested in following either and Aaron had a challenge of  getting them to come back in. He managed though.

Our ducks our Indian Runner ducks that walk pretty upright and are supposed to be good egg layers. We hope so.

Have you ever kept ducks? Do you have any advice?

I will be linking this to some parties on my sidebar.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a pretty fun post Abbi! Loved the pictures. The ducks are growing lots. Mom

Erin said...

Please keep sharing about the ducks! My husband and I have discussed getting a few somewhere down the road, so I appreciate your insights.

P.S. I really appreciate your blog, Abbi. The frequency, relevancy, and focus of your posts. Thank you for being real and for blogging about things that matter.

HappyMommy said...

My daughter has wanted ducks for a while! We have our hands full this year with our chicks and turkey poult. I am thinking ducks next spring so I would love to hear more about your duckling/duck adventures. Thanks for your posts. I love seeing them in my inbox!

Anonymous said...

We had ducks for a while growing up. I remember them making a mess out of their pen because we put a baby pool in there for them. They did lay eggs and we used about 1 duck egg for 2 chicken eggs. Don't remember if they tasted any different though…
-someone in N D

Abbi said...

Thanks to all of you very much for your encouraging words. I am glad you are enjoying the ducks "with us". I am sure I will be sharing more about them as time goes by.

Anonymous said...

Maybe Ken could be the new Duck Commander. Dad

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin