Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Goals For Good Health

How is your family doing health-wise through these winter months? There seems to be a lot of sickness out there! I have had music students cancel lessons regularly because they are ill, people have to stay home from church because they are sick and I hear of friends that feeling pretty miserable. We have had our turns at being sick too. In the last few weeks (we seem all to be pretty much on the mend now) different ones have taken turns having sore/scratchy throats, runny noses, fatigue and congestion. We have been very grateful to skip out on high fevers and vomiting!

  Meanwhile we are trying to continue to take little steps every day to improve our health.

These are the goals we have been working on:

  1. Drink plenty of water (at least 8 glass for the bigger ones and at least 6 for the smaller people). This has been going pretty well. I personally have been able to make a much better habit of drinking plenty of water and the kids are getting better at it too.
  2. Flossing our teeth everyday. This has truly become a habit with me and the kids are doing good at doing it too but after a visit to the dentist today I do realize that I need to get in there and do it for them some of the time and help them to become more proficient at it.
  3. Stretching. We are still working to get back in the habit with this one. We did do it today and at least one other day this week. I have been realizing the need for it lately.
  4. Get to bed on time. I am trying and I am making progress but I am not truly good at it yet.
My goal that I am starting to work on this week is having us take Cod Liver Oil every day. I am not a supplement sort of gal but in this northern climate that we live in having some good source of vitamin D is rather necessary and this seems to me to be one of the easiest and natural ways in which to do that on a regular basis. Other than being high in Vitamin D, Cod Liver Oil is also an excellent source of DHA (A fatty acid that is essential to the health of your nervous system and eyes and also helps to prevent depression), EPA (another fatty acid that is anti-inflammatory and helps to prevent depression) and Vitamin A (which is good for your eyes, skin and digestive tract). There are a lot of benefits that I don't have time to list here. Here is a good article about it.

 What are you doing to try to improve the health of your family?

2 comments:

Amelia said...

I feel so much better if I am sleeping before 11 p.m. I feel so much more chipper the next day! : )

Also, it seems to help if I stay off of my computer an hour before bedtime (at least).

Martin from Germany said...

"One apple a day keeps the doctor away" is one of the devices our family has. Another habit which I have for myself is a short cold water shock before ending my warm water showering. Greetings from Germany. Martin

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin