Sunday, December 13, 2015

Why I Believe We Should Read Revelation


After reading the title for this post you reaction may be, "Of course!" Many of us feel strongly that reading the Bible is important and Revelation is part of the Bible so naturally we will read it too. But I do also realize that it (and the prophets in the Old Testament) are challenging to understand so some might be tempted to skip it or at least not read it often or read it to your children or whatever. I don't have a problem with reading some books (that really seem to speak to you) more often than others but I do think we need to be careful not to truly skip reading Revelation and miss out on the blessing that comes with it.

  Revelation 1:3 says: "Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy, and heed the things which are written in it; for the time is near." 

  So the Bible point blank says why we should read Revelation ; So we can be blessed and so we can heed what is written. That reason is good enough for me.

  But beyond that I love read Revelation because it helps me realize how Awesome our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is! "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty." Revelation 1:8. "I am the first and the last, and the living One; and I was dead,  and behold, I am alive forevermore,  and I have the keys of death and Hades." Rev. 1:17 & 18. The descriptions of Jesus in Revelation are amazing too. If you truly want to see the complete picture (as much as we can handle right now anyway) of Jesus Christ - You will read Revelation.

   Revelation also encourages us to stay strong through the trials we are going to face. I am challenged to be ever clinging to our Savior when I read things like "Be faithful until death,  and I will give you the crown of life." Rev. 2:10

   Revelation makes me get excited about Heaven. We learn a lot more about it when we read Revelation. I am looking forward to going there some day and I hope to see you there too!

  I don't understand all the prophecy in Revelation but I do hope to keep learning and understanding and even then I never think I will understand it all and can understand more and more as I study. Prophecy will help us to prepare for what is coming in the future.

  I could share much more but my time is limited. I would love for you to check out another post I wrote on it back in 2010. You might enjoy a picture from our kid's class on Revelation several years ago which is in this post.

 I would love to hear your thoughts on reading Revelation!

2 comments:

Nola said...

I think its important to read all of the Bible even if some parts are hard to understand.

I think its really neat that in heaven we will meet all sorts of people that we have only read about in books, the Bible itself, or blogs like yours! I think it will be so neat that way.

Abbi said...

Nola,
I so agree! It will be so exciting to meet people from throughout the ages and from all across the world who will be in heaven too.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin