Wednesday, October 26, 2016

31 Days of Repurposing - Paper Bag to Drain Apple Fritters On (With a recipe)

 So, this morning I decided to make apple fritters for breakfast. Yummy!
These are deep fat fried so they are really a health food and they can be rather messy but they are good. :-) Today I did some repuposing for the purpose of having something to set my greasy fritters on. I used an old trick that my mom had done when I was a child. We don't keep paper towels around the house (I never really have we use cloth rags instead) but I needed somethign to drain my fritters on. I cut open a paper grocery bag and I used that. This was something my mom did with doughnuts and I was thankful the idea came back to me.
Some might question the sanitation. I agree it probably isn't perfectly germ free but I am not overly worried about that. We need to get exposed to a few things anyway to keep our immune system up and working. :-) I would wonder just how sanitary paper towels are too. When you start thinking on anything like that it does start you to wondering. Any way I used a paper bag that had probably had groceries in it before but then it was neatly folded and put away.  I do absorb the fat nicely.

And here is the recipe:

Apple Fritters
3 1/2 cups flour (I used mostly whole wheat and a little white flour.
5 tsp. Baking Powder
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 t. Salt
1 cup milk (or whey)
4 eggs
2 t. Vanilla
4 T.  melted butter
2 c. chopped apples

Combine all the dry ingredients. Then mix in the wet ingredients. Lastly add the apples and stir them in.  Drop by the spoonful into hot oil. Brown. Turn once. Drain (on a grocery bag if you desire). Serve hot with cinnamon and sugar, powdered sugar, syrup or honey.

I hope you enjoy them!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin