Saturday, October 8, 2016

31 Days of Repurposing - Slippers made long ago from Cardboard and Fabric Scraps

I had some fun looking through old pictures today and found this one of some slippers and it brought back fond memories.
Some friends of ours, the Corders, used to be able to come and visit every year for around a week and one year Michelle came without her slippers (which for me would not be a big deal but Michelle likes her slippers) and so we made her some.

This post tells about the fun we had making slippers using things we had around the house like boxes, old jeans, fabric scraps and hot glue. They were quick to make a surprisingly sturdy. It was a fun time.

Have you made slippers before? What method did you use? Also - What is your favorite way to repurpose cardboard? I tend to get a lot of big boxes with my flower business. Sometimes I remember to send them back so they can use them again - a great method - but I sometimes forget and it is fun to think about all that could possibly be made with them.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

That was so sweet of you to make her slippers! I have never tried such a project, but I am sure it would be a bit challenging for me. You all do such a great job! God bless you, sweet friend. :)

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Such a sweet gesture to your friend to make some slippers for her! I have never tried to make slippers, but this sounds like a really fun and interesting project! You are very talented and creative, for sure! Hugs to you today :)

Nola said...

You can give boxes to someone with young kids, you can make a flower press out of them (put 2 sheets of white paper inside for the flowers to go between, like a sandwhich between 2 sheets of cardboard. Then put an elastic around it all and put under a heavy book).

I saw a friend wrapped some boxes in brown paper and then cut out nice letters out of white and used them to stack in corners for the bride and groom's name and another time the words "baby" for a baby shower. They turn out like giant building blocks.

You could use them as giant building blocks if you had young kids around or older kids who like that sort of thing.

I mainly re-use boxes to store stuff in. I use them either with the flaps and close the flaps up or I use them by cutting off the flaps and putting them in drawers. Especially dresser drawers to make sections. You can even cover them...I think we discussed this before. With fabric or paper. I also re-use boxes for gift giving since it "hides" the gift better. I sometimes even use a big box as an extra laundry basket. But not for wet it doesn't work that great. :)

Nola said...

Oh I also saw some homemade cards using the corrugated part of the cardboard for some decoration like using a fancy paper. They had removed that part from between the layers.

Abbi said...

Thanks for all of your kind words and for the ideas too!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin