Wednesday, March 14, 2018

A Colorful Train Quilt for Buirlen


   We are so blessed to have a bunch of little people in our family right now. In my side of the family (the ones we live near) there had been a break in the arrival of grand-kids for several years but in the last 2 years there are now 5 more. It is wonderful! Just recently we celebrated the 1st birthday of Buirlen. Megan and I decided to make a quilt for his birthday gift. 

   I had been thinking about making it for a month but I was finishing up some other gifts and projects and so I didn't end up getting to it until the day before his party. But with Megan's good help and even a little assistance from Aaron and Mara at the end we got it done.
 I was just going to have a bunch of colorful squares but Megan wanted some pinwheel blocks too. I thought that would be pretty appropriate since pin-wheels had been a big thing and Buirlen's parents wedding (you can see my post about it here). So we made three pin-wheel squares to go in the middle of the quilt. Then we just had a bunch of blocks. After those we sewed together I stiched a railroad track (using thread and ribbon) all around the quilt. Then we put two trains made of jean pockets on the track.
 I had wanted to make finger puppets to go in the trains but I didn't have time but Megan got it done. They turned out pretty cute. Buirlen thought they were fun to play with.

 This is the train on the other side.
 Megan made a really cut engineer to go in one of the engines.
 It ended up being a really fun project. The jean pockets I had been saving as I cut up strips for rugs and wanting to find something to do with them. They were the inspiration for this quilt. I still have a bunch more however so I am going to need to do something else with them too. The blocks all came from scraps of fabric that we had around. For the back of the quilt I used a piece of flannel that I had bought years ago on a sale. The lining was an old mattress cover that my neighbor had given me to make something with. It was amazing how perfectly it fit the quilt without any pre-planning on my part. God certainly blessed as we made it. We only had limited time to work on it and everything went together super smoothly. I was so thankful.

 By the way Buirlen's Mama has a neat blog that you might enjoy checking out.

3 comments:

Amy and Mark said...

I love the train and little finger puppets!! So sweet and I am sure it will be enjoyed for years to come!

Nola said...

Great work!

I have an old quilt that was hand-quilted many many years ago...probably 50 or so...and almost all the pieces have holes in the fabric. I am considering what I could do with it. Its still warm. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe use it as the batting for a new quilt but then wouldn't all the fabric tear away and ball up inside? I don't know.

Abbi said...

Thank you, Amy and Mark!

Nola, Thanks! I think the old quilt would work for batting. You would just want to be sure to tie it (or quilt it). It is always a little sad when old quilts get past their usefulness.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin